Notes for Division Meeting: June 2005

Previous meeting (May 2005)

Logo

Suffolk Division NUT
Executive Committee (17:30 - 18:30)
and DIVISION COUNCIL MEETING (19:00 - 21:00)

Thursday, June 30th 2005 Belstead Brook Hotel, Ipswich

Apologies already recorded: For EC / Both: For Council:

u =Items for Executive Committee

¤ =Items for Division Council

Section A: National with National Executive Report

¤ Report from Glenys Shepherd.

  1. Executive News No 116
  2. ¤ PPA - information now to ALL MEMBERS from HQ, circulated mid-May.
  3. NUT News 17: Some Safeguarding Safeguarded - BUT NOT SAFE YET!
  4. NUT News 16: Could this mean the end of pastoral education?
  5. Nut News 15: Fear over pay protection deal
  6. NUT NEWS 14: It could be you!
  7. New PPA Information Booklet for membersposted on our website
  8. No teacher should face a pay cut - campaigning against TLRs and pay cuts from so-called "safeguarding".
  9. The May/June edition of The Teacher is now published on the NUT national website.
  10. Commenting on the Government's initiative on pupil behaviour announced today, Steve Sinnott, NUT General Secretary, comments: "This initiative by the Government is very welcome. It is pleasing that the Education Secretary has acted so quickly on an issue of concern to every teacher in the country. The Leadership Group will help produce practical proposals which can be considered in the autumn. Low level pupil disruption is a serious problem in our schools and undermines the education of every other pupil in a class and the teachers' teaching. The idea of a national discipline code fits well with the Union's call for a charter setting out support and sanctions for use in schools in accordance with teachers' professional judgement. The wider issue of pupil violence also needs to be tackled. Currently no-one knows the scale of the problem because the statistics are woefully inadequate. Until we know the scale of the problem, whether such incidents are concentrated in particular types of schools or areas, and more, it is impossible to look at ways of combatting the problem. There is also an urgent need for advice to schools on protecting teachers working in their classrooms after the end of the school day. The horrific rape of our member on her second day in a new school underlines the urgency of the need. Nonetheless this initiative will help schools and will provide practical support and advice in the very near future."
    Circulars from HQ, etc:
  11. 05-103-M&C - MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY - 2 JULY 2005: EDINBURGH
  12. 05-102-O&A - REGIONAL SECRETARY - EASTERN REGION: VACANCY
  13. 05-101-SALS - TLR PAYMENTS: NASUWT, NAHT AND ATL ADVICE: copies of their advice to Reps.
  14. 05-100-E&EO - EVERY CHILD MATTERS: A PPT presentation summarising developments in the Government's Every Child Matters agenda. Covers key aspects of the Children Act 2004, Children's Services Inspection, Children's Workforce Strategy and Extended Schools. Contains a summary of the Union's policy in response to the Every Child Matters agenda.
  15. ¤ 05-099-CCU - CHILDREN'S FOOD BILL: a suggested draft letter to MPs encouraging them to sign an Early Day Motion to indicate their support for the Bill. Secretary has written to all 7 Suffolk MPs on behalf of the County Division.
  16. 05-098-CCU - MEETING POINT AND TIME - 2 JULY 2005 RALLY, EDINBURGH
  17. 05-097-M&C - UNION DIARIES 2005-2006: £3.00 each or 50+ copies@ £2.70.
  18. 05-096-E&EO - MEETING BETWEEN LOCAL LEARNING AND SKILLS COUNCILS AND TEACHER UNIONS: LOCAL LSC/TEACHER ORGANISATION FORUMS
  19. 05-095-CCU - URGENT: VOLUNTEERS FOR 2 JULY RALLY - CHILDREN'S ZONE
  20. ¤ 05-094-SALS - MANAGEMENT ALLOWANCES TO TLRs and attachments: Advice to Trainers and copy of LETTER TO HEADTEACHERS FROM GENERAL SECRETARY REGARDING TLRs,
  21. 05-093-O&A - GUIDANCE ON ICT FACILITIES FOR DIVISIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS - promised an attachment - awaited. There are now grants for ICT equipment.
  22. 05-091-CCU - TRAVELING TO EDINBURGH FOR JULY 2 PRE-G8 RALLY: Cambridgeshire obtained 60+ train tickets to Edinburgh from Peterborough early Saturday morning and returning in the evening. Secretary will be using this method to attend the rally in Edinburgh. Sec to ask that Division pays to Cambs NUT the amount by which Cambs NUT have subsidised his place.
  23. 05-090-M&C - ANNUAL UNION LEARNING FUND CONFERENCE: BUILDING THE FUTURE - 14 JULY 2005
  24. 05-089-O&A - YOUNG TEACHERS AND ANNUAL CONFERENCE
  25. ¤ 05-088-E&EO - RISE - ANTI RACIST AND MULTI CULTURAL FESTIVAL FOR LONDON: 16 JULY 2005, BURGESS PARK, SOUTHWARK, LONDON, SE5
  26. 05-087-CCU - TOLPUDDLE MARTYRS' FESTIVAL 15-17 JULY 2005
  27. 05-086-O&A - NEW HEADQUARTERS POST OF ASSISTANT SECRETARY: CO-ORDINATION, LOCAL SUPPORT AND ACTION: John Dixon appointed. Job spec includes:
    - facilitating effective co-ordination between HQ departments and the regional/Wales offices;
    - oversight of the work of the regional/Wales offices ensuring the consistent and effective delivery of services to members;
    - ensuring effective advice and support to divisions, associations and school representatives;
    - acting as Secretary to the Action Sub-Committee and reporting to the Executive on all action issues; and
    - co-ordinating the support for the training of lay officers in the regional/Wales offices.
  28. 05-085-CCU - GLOBAL CAMPAIGN FOR EDUCATION - MODERATING ON-LINE BUDDIES
  29. 05-084-M&C - MANAGEMENT ALLOWANCES (MAs) TO TEACHING AND LEARNING RESPONSIBILITY PAYMENTS (TLRs): briefing for training school Reps.
  30. 05-083-E&EO - OFSTED INSPECTIONS SPRING 2005-UPDATE
  31. 05-081-COS - TLRs - RIG GUIDANCE. Full text is available from the teachernet site.
  32. 05-082-CCU - MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY/SEND MY FRIEND TO SCHOOL WRIST BANDS
  33. ¤ 05-080-COS - NUT EVIDENCE TO THE SCHOOL TEACHERS' REVIEW BODY
  34. 05-079-M&C - NUT POCKET DIARY 2005-06
  35. 05-078/SALS - 'SALARY SACRIFICE': CHILDCARE VOUCHERS/HOME COMPUTER INITIATIVE: The DfES has advised local authorities that they are able to pay teachers Childcare Vouchers under the heading of discretionary recruitment/retention payments which can since 2004 be made in the form of non-cash payments. Such payments would not, however, qualify for income tax exemption. The NUT has written to the DfES asking that this issue is dealt with via an appropriate amendment to the forthcoming 2005 STPCD, in order that teachers in local authority-maintained schools may participate in 'salary sacrifice' schemes and take advantage of the income tax exemption arrangements.
  36. u 05-077/M&C - FACILITIES FOR NUT REPRESENTATIVES: A MODULE FOR LOCAL TRAINING: training module devised by groups participating in the workshop Local Training at the Division Secretaries' Briefing held in October 2004. Research commissioned by the Union Democracy Working Party and undertaken by the Labour Research Department found that only 7% of school representative respondents to the survey received paid facility time to carry out their trade union activities.
  37. u 05-068-O&A - ELECTIONS FOR OFFICERS OF THE UNION (INCLUDING TREASURER AND EXAMINER OF ACCOUNTS) AND EXECUTIVE MEMBERS: 2006-2008
  38. 05-067-M&C - TEACHER UNION LEARNING REPRESENTATIVES: A GUIDE FOR THE EMPLOYERS OF TEACHERS
  39. 05-066-CCU - MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY: PRE G-8 RALLY IN EDINBURGH with Campaigners Guide.
    Section B: Regional: Regional Office to report.
  40. Regional training on TLRs has taken place. Peter Dunnett, Graham White, Annie Pickess, Margaret Bulaitis and Roger Mackay attended a TLR training session on 15th June at Regional Office. These caseworkers will be asked to assist the Secretary in monitoring and aiding Reps with the drafting and consultation process.
    Section C: Division / Executive Committee:
  41. A new briefing page has been created on the website on Teaching and Learning Allowances. Reps informed May by FAX also announcing training for Reps in Suffolk. Training for NUT Reps has been arranged for June 27th (Beccles), June 28th (Ipswich) and June 30th (Bury St Edmunds).
  42. ¤ Three TLR training sessions for School NUT Reps have been arranged: Mon 27th June at Beccles (Waveney House Hotel); Tuesday 27th June at SSPDC and Thursday 30th June in Ipswich, SSPDC. There are around 90 participants in all. EC to confirm financial arrangements for this training. Secretary to propose that Division pays for hire of room and catering. u LAs to pay for travel and child care costs. EC to consider follow-up and training for those Reps who have not yet attended.
  43. Extended Schools: Secretary has approach Glenys Shepherd re. info from LEA that the DfES was to use the National Remodelling Team to take over the introduction of extended schools. Secretary concerned that, as NUT has not been part of the NRT introducing Workforce Reform, it might also not be consulted over Extended Schools. One NUT Headteacher in Suffolk has piloted extended school in a rural setting, independently of the LEA.
  44. Pay Decision Appeals: The NUT alerted the LEA to the DfES Model Pay Appeals Procedure and the need for pay appeals to afford members two full hearings. This took the LEA by surprise. AA contacted area personnel officers. No guidance forthcoming as yet, although S Area was issuing some interim advice entailing an informal first meeting, which they are calling a hearing, followed by the possibility of a full appeal. We are saying that this is not sufficient to meet the statutory minimum entitlement for staff with a grievance. Legal advice from HQ is that disappointment in a pay decision is a grievance in law.. RO is dealing with an appeal where the appellant was on a teacher exchange/secondment.
  45. ¤ Salary Determinations and Appeals Procedures: There have been no more actual appeals lodged since the last meeting, where it was reported that we had established the right to two "meetings" but not, as yet, to two "hearings". The Reps' courses this week included a session on pay appeals. Late UPS3 decisions: There are still some schools which have not declared their UPS2 and UPS3 pay decisions for September 2004. The Secretary is suggesting that these are breaching STP&CD provisions because of the requirement that there should be no "undue delay". Some schools which have delayed announcing their decisions for September 2004 are saying to individuals that they have agreed to UPS 3 "from September 2005"! The revised Section 3 of the STP&CD 2004 (not published until 27th May 2005) now says that all pay decisions which take effect on the 1st Sept any year must be announced by the end of October.
  46. u Section 188 notices: Current known notices are (a) for Easter: Barnby & North Cove (extended then withdrawn), Eye Primary (resolved). For August: Badwell Ash (resolved), Blundeston P (withdrawn), Cliff Lane P (resolved), Combs Ford P (resolved), Downing P (no news), Gt Cornard US (resolved), Gt Heath P (resolved), Heath P (for January 2006), Leiston Middle (resolved), Leiston P (withdrawn), Orwell H (resolved), Ringshall (believed resolved), St Felix Middle (resolved), Scaltback (resolved), Sextons Manor P (resolved), Stowupland H (resolved), Waldringfield P. (resolved). Added May 14th: Beacon Hill Primary. subsequently withdrawn. Added June: Exning, subsequently withdrawn.
  47. ¤ Industrial Injury. JNC has now agreed the final proposals from the LEA which had been negotiated between the Secretary, AA and DJET. Secretary will circulate to Reps as soon as possible.
  48. ¤ Risk Assessment and Exclusions / EOTAS: Training for LEA Officers/PRU Heads was held on 16 June at the Holiday Inn Hotel, Ipswich, and 20 June at Belstead House, Ipswich. Secretary attended. The NUT's Risk Assessment checklist is now to be adopted by the LEA for all EOTAS/IC moves and exclusions with immediate effect. It will also be sent to all Middle and Secondary schools in September for use with managed moves. This is a great step forward, but we must ensure that it is implemented rigorously.
  49. Risk Assessment - pregnant workers and new mothers - The LEA has distributed a draft risk assessment document and pro forma for protecting pregnant women and new mothers (i.e. breast feeding) from hazards at work in schools. Will be published on the Schools Portal eventually.
  50. ¤ County Solicitor's Advice on refusing to admit pupils with a violent history: The LEA explained in JNC that, now the Risk Assessment tool is in place (see above) it is clearly the LEA's responsibility to ensure that any move of educational setting of children with EBD, those excluded, etc. is only made after appropriate risk assessment and the required controls are in place. The County Solicitor is insisting that headteachers cannot refuse to admit a child, because the admissions authority is the LEA (or Governors in VA schools). However, the headteacher will now be involved in completing page 4 of any risk assessments which indicate what precautions and extra resources would be needed before admitting any particular child. This now becomes a negotiation based on evidence. The Union will still support headteachers who insist on adequate resourcing before agreeing to accept a pupil, including re-admission after appeal.
  51. Training sessions for Out-of-School (Home) Tutors: The Secretary has successfully pressed the case for any training for home tutors to be arranged on PD Days, notified well in advance, or if this not possible, as twilight session. The Secretary is insisting that home tutors, who are essentially paid on "casual" rates, cannot be required to attend training unless they are paid additional hours for so doing. The LEA is suggesting that they should attend as part of their "directed time", but this is rejected by the Union as it is outside the STP&CD provisions.
  52. "NotSchool" contracts: Secretary is pursuing an individual grievance for a "Notschool" tutor re. pay and conditions. Suffolk LEA appears to be handling these contracts differently from other LEAs, and is paying our tutors less. Holidays and pension arrangements are also in some confusion.
  53. ¤ Peasenhall Primary School: The Secretary met with the Area Education Manager, in-coming head of both Peasenhall and Middleton and the members at Peasenhall re. arrangements for September. Although the EC agreed in April to some sort of federation, there is still no written agreement, constitution or written record of how the two schools will operate. There is one headteacher, but two Governing Bodies, two separate school budgets and two separate staffing structures, etc.
  54. Managing Absence: The Secretary responded to the LEA's much improved draft on absence handling, but the JNC on 22nd June heard that there had been no up-date to ratify. It was agreed to ratify by correspondence so that the document could be circulated to school as soon as possible and formally ratified by JNC in the Autumn.
  55. u 14-18 Provision in Suffolk: The JNC was attended by the new Director for Services to Children and Young People, Rosalind Turner. She spoke of the need to bring together the various agencies in her new directorate. The LEA is now talking about meeting in the Autumn for the proposed seminar of 14-18 reorganisation in Suffolk, with extended schools and "services to children" delivery high on the agenda.
  56. u PRU Salary Negotiations. The TOs met again with LEA managers on 15th June to continue negotiations on the claim made in 2003, lodged by the NUT with the backing of all teacher and headteacher unions. The LEA agreed that Heads of Unit will be able to recommend individual teaching staff at their units for the second SEN allowance either on appointment or as a result of successful performance management dialogues. The basis for the award would be either extra relevant high-level qualifications or particularly relevant successful experience, or both. The NUT's original claim for Heads of Unit to be paid on Leadership Spine points 8-14 has also been agreed, subject to approval by the Education Management Board, as has our proposal to Deputy Heads of Unit on the leadership scale. These posts will be on L3-L7. Where the person appointed as Deputy is already working at that PRU on a salary higher than L3 (£34,935 from Sept 2005) that person will be placed on the next higher point on the scale L3-L7. A newly appointed deputy head of unit would normally start at L3 but there would be discretion to pay a starting salary of up to L5. The job description for Deputy Headteachers will be different from the existing second in unit post (where applicable) and is likely to include direct responsibility for a particular aspect of the work of the PRU (e.g. behaviour support team). The Secretary is asking PRU Reps to get in touch where there are still Management Allowances being paid to class teachers in PRUs. The LEA has stated that TLRs are not considered appropriate in PRUs. As the PRUs are managed centrally by the LEA, the LEA will be determining the structure of all PRUs centrally and AA has sent out a separate TLR advice letter to heads of PRUs.
  57. Absence, Payroll and Sick Pay: No response from AA, so Secretary contacted payroll direct (RB). The reply: "The change from one payroll system to another has, almost inevitably, created some difficulties for us within the payroll office and there have been instances where established processes have not worked properly for one reason or another. This, I appreciate, is not very satisfactory for those teachers affected by the situation but is I'm afraid the reality we are faced with. I can assure you that we are trying very hard to iron out the problems we have so that 'normal service' is resumed as soon as possible. I know that the area education offices have asked for more information about teachers in this half pay / nil pay situation so that they can offer as much support as possible to them. We are endeavouring to create the information they require so that the system is more watertight. Basically I am having to say to you please bear with us, we are trying very hard to improve the situation. The new system does, however, bring with it difficulties that have to be ironed out and we are working through them as fast as we can."
  58. ¤ From SCC: JNC readily accepted a proposal from SCC to pay all teacher business and InSeT mileage expenses at the tax-exempt rate of 40p per mile. This standardises the mileage rate paid for all journeys in whatever size vehicle. The LEA has confirmed that the standard also applies to teachers' travel for InSeT. The date was not given, but we assume from September 2005.
  59. From Teacher Reps: Jenny Mosesson has stepped down as Special TR and this means that she did not contest the position in the elections. There is a contest for the post of Secondary Representative, but the posts of Special and Middle School TRs have been filled unopposed.
  60. ¤ Health and Safety Report (John Osborne). HSE investigation of the Suffolk Special was poorly conducted and so no progress made. Inspectors failed to interview any injured staff or to observe lessons or movement around the school.
  61. Eastern Region Special Needs Sub-Committee: Jenny Mosesson will be stepping down and we hope that her successor as representative at Belstead School will be willing to take Jenny's place on the ER SEN sub-committee.
  62. ¤ Conferences: Andrew Guite to report on "Teachers leading, teachers learning", Institute of Education.
    Section D: Local Associations

Date of next meeting: September 29th 2005. Venue to be confirmed

TOP

INDEX